[galbi jjim, korean-style short ribs - slow cooker] i received this recipe from an email recipe exchange – an easy way to share diverse recipes – (& the one chain email i don’t mind receiving). delicious, fall-off-the-bone beef short ribs with the fixings, in a marinade of soy sauce & sugar for that asian flare. many recipes for galbi jjim are on the stove top, but is great using a slow cooker as well.
- 2 1/2 lb. lean short ribs, cut into 2-3 inch chunks (regular, boneless or non-boneless short ribs, not the kind that are thinly sliced for grilling)
- 1/2 c. water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced into lengths
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 T. toasted sesame seeds
- other options: mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, chestnuts
trim excess fat (but not all!) and cut between the ribs for 2 to 2 1/2 inch pieces. mince garlic cloves (i used 4 because garlic is wonderful). place short ribs, garlic and 1/4 cup water into slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
4 hours later…
add remaining ingredients and cook for 4 more hours or until ribs are tender
7 hours later…
served with white rice and bok choy for some greens