homemade for the never-ending winter we’re having and some tender lovin’ care to help a loved one fight off a cold. a healthy root veggie filled soup w/ a delicious stock.
- 1 3 1/4- to 3 1/2-pound reserved roast chicken
- 1 chicken carcass (reserved from carved roast chicken)
- 5 quarts water
- 1 large onion, halved, plus 1 cup chopped
- 4 peeled garlic cloves; 2 whole, 2 sliced
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks, plus 1 1/2 cups 1/3-inch cubes peeled carrot
- 3 celery stalks, cut into chunks
- 4 turkish bay leaves, divided
- 4 large fresh italian parsley sprigs plus chopped parsley (for garnish)
- 4 large fresh thyme sprigs plus 2 teaspoons chopped
- 12 whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups 1/3-inch cubes peeled celery root
- 1 1/2 cups 1/3-inch cubes peeled red-skinned sweet potatoes (i used russet potatoes, as i already had some i needed to use and opted for the less sweet version)
- 1 cup 1/3-inch cubes peeled parsnips
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
cut meat off chicken and dice. place both carcasses, 5 quarts water, halved onion, whole garlic cloves, carrot chunks, celery chunks, 2 bay leaves, parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, and allspice in 8-to 10-quart pot. bring to boil. reduce heat. simmer 1 1/4 hours.
strain broth; return to pot and boil until reduced to 7 cups.
heat oil in another large pot over medium-high heat. add chopped onion, sliced garlic, and 2 bay leaves; sauté 2 minutes. add carrot cubes, chopped thyme, celery root, sweet potatoes, parsnips, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and 7 cups broth; bring to boil. reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. add diced chicken; season with more salt and pepper. garnish with chopped parsley.
read more here